Gender equality at the heart of the European Development Days 2018
May 22, 2018
Organised by the European Commission since 2006, the European Development Days (EDD) bring several international actors together each year to share ideas and experiences in ways that inspire new partnerships and innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing challenges. This year, the theme of women and equality is in the spotlight of this 12th edition that is taking place on 5-6 June in Brussels.
Gender equality and women empowerment are at the core of European values and enshrined within the EU’s legal and political framework. This is why the event will focus on the vital role of women and the need for their full and equal participation and leadership in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
Under the main thread of ‘Women and Girls at the Forefront of Sustainable Development: protect, empower, invest’, the EDD 2018 agenda will be framed by three major themes emerging as key priorities in today’s current context:
– ‘Ensuring the physical and psychological integrity of Girls and Women’,
– ‘Promoting economic and social rights and empowerment of Girls and Women’,
– ‘Strengthening Girls’ and Women’s voice and participation’.
Among the many activities and workshops that are held, here is the Euro-Mediterranean Women’s Foundation’s selection of those that deal with themes that may interest its members or with a particularly useful approach for the Euro-Mediterranean region:
– Young Mediterranean Voices: Women, dialogue and digitally-enabled peacebuilding – Leveraging the work of young women peacebuilders – Wednesday June 6, 2018
– Empowerment of Women: the case of the National Commission for Lebanese Women – Exchange of best practices on effective women coordination and networking mechanisms in the MENA region – Wednesday June 6, 2018
– Who defines our identity? Advocating for women leaders in the culture sector – Exploring best practices to empower women through culture and arts and promote an inclusive society in the Neighbourhood South – Tuesday June 5, 2018
– Women Empowerment Through Green Business Development – The SWITCH Programme empowers Women in private sector development to promote sustainable lifestyles and an inclusive green economy – Wednesday June 6, 2018
– Women in tech salon – Connecting women entrepreneurs from Mediterranean countries – Wednesday June 6, 2018